Donnerstag, 16. Juni 2011

MM Personal - Book review


I ordered MM Personal because I wanted to get a different take on Marilyn. This book definitely provides it. It is clear and well-structured. The author is a university professor which is reflected in the style (complete with footnotes, thank you very much) and I always appreciate when references are given.




The content is very personal (letters, receipts, photographs), but not as personal as The Audrey Hepburn Treasures. It demystifies Marilyn Monroe in a way, shows her as a business woman, a wife, a loving stepmother and an abuser of drugs and alcohol. It doesn't point fingers, it just shows you: look, this is what we found and it could be interpreted as such. Make up your own mind.

To me, Marilyn just got real. She is no longer the undervalued actress, this beautiful woman. She is a woman. Period. And I love her all the more for it.

1 Kommentar: