Freitag, 20. Mai 2011

China Miéville: Perdito Street Station

Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


2 stars seem so little and unfair given the complexity of the universe/world that is created in the novel. But that is exactly what my issue is. At first I was almost compelled. I wanted to soak in every detail about the city, its horrors and wonders and inhabitants. But after reaching the climax with the very!evil!antagonists and finding out that that climax seemed to last for 100 pages or more... I just couldn't do it. I didn't want all the detail, it was too much and I just wanted a quicker pace. I wanted to get to the solution and not toil through 100 more pages of information. So I gave up and only cross-read a couple of pages and the last few printed in italic.

I admire Miéville's ability to envision that world. And the story is good, it lures you in and all, but in the end... less would have been a bit more for me. Also, I failed to be scared or horrified by the very!evil!antagonists, maybe because of the whole city being so lethal. Everyone basically was an enemy. The good didn't stick out enough (which is good because it means the characters aren't flat) and maybe I felt that I'd give up anyways, were I to live there. Horror lurked behind every corner so why would the very!evil!antagonists be more horrible?

There is probably more to be said but I just end with the fact, that I am looking forward to another book of Miéville's. This one however in the second half didn't live up to the way it started.



View all my reviews

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen